| 0 comments ]

Recently we have been talking about full blown home theaters, with grand designs and even grander budgets. But most of us cannot afford that expense. A good majority of people, yours truly included, can at the most, integrate a home theater into our living room. And it is more than enough for the most part. No! it is not enough. But I can dream, can't I ?

Coming to the matter at hand, do excuse me for I have a tendency to drift way off-course once I start rambling. Shit! there I go again. Okay, now I'll really come to the point.


The Day before yesterday, I purchased a new surround sound speaker set for my home theater (I am updating my ancient home theater, one piece at a time). Once I bought the set, I realized I needed stands for my rear and side speakers, since wall mounting the speakers is not a feasible option in this instance. Much to my frustration, I found out that good quality speaker stands would make me spend way more than my budget (they are really expensive, you know). Now, I am not a cheapskate, all the same I am not exactly loaded. Naturally, the best option was to build my own speaker stands.

As I researched, I came across this post on How to: Dirt cheap Speaker Stands by Chris Meltcafe. A most excellent article, I must say - fast and easy to make, and really really sturdy. It can be made from easy to find materials, looks excellent and more importantly, since I have a tendency to be a bit of a klutz, the stands are very sturdy and can withstand much abuse. Do check it out, you'll love it.


A moot point : You do not have to do exactly as specified. You can use the guide as a starting point and branch off into your own idea.

Cost factor apart, I love the feeling I get when I build or assemble something with my hands. I love what I did with the stands - they look real good, blending into my decor. They are easily serviceable, replaceable and more importantly, cost around 10% of the price of a store bought speaker stand.

-end of post-

0 comments

Post a Comment